For organising an AWARENESS TALK, Call: 9940389751
As dyslexia is a hidden disability , children with dyslexia are branded as being "dull", "lazy", "disobedient", "obstinate". This is because parents as well as teachers are not aware of the condition and this child looks like any other. Bringing about awareness has been a major part of the work at Madras Dyslexia Association and one of its main objectives.
Like any other condition "early identification and help" are crucial here too. This would be possible only if parents and teachers are aware of how it manifests and understand why it is important to address the issues.
It is important that :
- The general public as well as educationists understand the enormity of the problem: the incidence, (according to world statistics), its symptoms and the importance of providing help.
- School management help in accommodating such children in their schools.
- The awareness needs also to be done at the vernacular level so that it reaches everyone.
What can awareness do?
- Help in early identification of the child can prevent the children "at risk" from having a full-blown disability later.
- Can help in understanding and supporting the children having a difficulty both at home and school and understand the child holistically.
- The child would in turn be reassured and self -confident that he can perform when he is given help rather than think he is stupid.
What can lack of awareness do?
- Their self-esteem can be brought down.
- The potential of these children could go untapped , they could be sidelined in schools and may ultimately lose interest in studies. They may even become school dropouts.
What does MDA do for awareness?
- Awareness talks in public platforms like social clubs, corporate gatherings and school gatherings for parents and teachers.
- Awareness talks in schools.
- Programmes on radio and television.
- Write-ups in English and Tamil dailies as well as English and Tamil magazines about Dyslexia.
- Bring about awareness using puppets or a film show.
- Disseminate information through the Quarterly Newsletter, Facebook, Twitter and Website.
Changes we see in a child after remediation:
Few words on Dyslexia from President, MDA
- Self esteem confidence ability shoots up that he can perform
- Parent is happy that child can perform at comfort level, realize the level of the child
- Do not have unrealistic expectations from child… happy with childs performance
- Would not have got opportunity in regular school, however here they get to perform, participate in events… there is a spring in their step
- Spellings are better
- Are able to Realize their mistakes… and learn to self-correct
- Math: conceptual understanding improves